The Most Popular Social Media Platforms of 2018
Social media is the modern maxim of communication in the contemporary digital world. In addition to being popular platforms to chill out, social networking sites are also amazing mediums to stay in touch with the whole world.
And yes, social media has proven to be a highly potent platform to spread the word about your brand and grow your business as well. According to sources, 3.196 billion people around the world use social media as of 2018.
So, what are the most popular social media platforms of 2018? The post below offers a glimpse on the most used social networking sites as of this year.
The king of social media still sits tightly on top despite all the scandals and negative reviews in recent times. Founded in 2004 by the great Mark Zuckerberg and his Harvard fellows, the social media giant is bustling with 2,230,000,000 million users as of 2018.
The site was initially limited to Harvard students only but since 2006, it has started accepting memberships from general users worldwide.
Here are some quick facts on Facebook:
- The social media biggie shows 1.47 billion active users daily
- Facebook witnesses a whopping 11% increase in user base with each passing year
- Around 1.15 billion people access Facebook daily from mobile phone
- The top age range of Facebook users is between 25-34
The most popular video sharing site today, YouTube commands 1,900,000,000 active users.
Headquartered in California, the site was founded in 2005 by 3 erstwhile PayPal employees- Steve Chen, Chad Hurley & Jawed Karim. In 2006, the site was acquired by Google and presently it functions as one of the main subsidiaries of the search engine giant.
YouTube has made access to world music cheaper through its easy video sharing facility for users worldwide.
Here are some quick facts on YouTube:
- YouTube can be browsed in 76 languages, covering 95% of the internet population globally
- It’s the 2ndbiggest search engine as well as 3rdmost frequented sites, right after Google & Facebook
- YouTube receives 1,000,000,000 views from mobile every day
- 95% of the most watched videos on YouTube in 2018 were the music videos
Instagram redefined social media usage with its innovative image & video sharing platform in 2010. Founded by Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom, the site is currently owned by Facebook.
The third most popular social networking site today, Instagram is browsed by a jaw-dropping number of 1,000,000,000users as of 2018. The site is actively followed by celebrities and big brands and popular Instagram figures are some of the biggest business influencers today.
Here are some quick facts on Instagram:
- Instagram is a top favorite among teens and the majority of Instagram users are under the age of 30
- Instagram users share around 95 million posts daily
- Instagram houses 25 million business profiles
- Kim Kardashian (110 million followers) is the most popular celeb on Instagram as of 2018
Twitter is a virtual news & social media site with an awesome 336,000,000active users as of 2018.
Launched in 2006, the site was founded by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone, Evan Williams and Noah Glass. Twitter allows its users to communicate with one another via short tweets that were originally 140-characters long but now the limit has been doubled up.
Dubbed as “the SMS of the Internet”, Twitter is widely followed by leading political figures and celebs, added to general users.
Here are some quick facts on Twitter:
- Twitter receives 100 million active users daily
- 80% of Twitter users use mobile to access the site
- Around 56% o users on Twitter earn at least $50,000 per year
- Twitter is more popular among men than women
One of the top 10 most visited websites in the world, Pinterest acts as an engaging virtual pin board where users can upload and save images as well as categorize them on various boards.
Commanding 200,000,000 active users as of 2018, the site was founded in 2009 by Ben Silbermann, Evan Sharp and Paul Sciarra. The site offers inspiring visual content especially in the categories of art & craft, home, fashion and food.
Here are some quick facts on Pinterest:
- Pinterest receives 175 million active users every month
- There are over 1 billion Pinterest boards and more than 50 billion Pinterest pins
- Females comprise 81% of Pinterest users
- Pinterest is bustling with 75 billion+ ideas
So, which one is your favorite social media site?